Story Lab: Writers Write

 Week 6 

I decided to kind of browse around the story lab options because I find them to be quite fun and help me find new interesting and insightful ways to write. I found the articles on the Writers Write website to be so interesting! To start out with a kinda fun one I enjoyed the article "Music To Listen To While You Write" because I didn't even think about how other mediums of creativity can really help amplify my own writing creativity. I often see music as its own version of storytelling so to incorporate it with writing has the ability to make it better. I didn't realize how many people work with music on and how the type of music can really affect your work. The article suggests it should be melodic, harmonizing music where it encourages the listener to be productive through sounds. The article also stated how some people don't listen to music at all, I am the opposite of that, I have to have some sort of noise on, but didn't consider piano music to be one that would help me. It's definitely something I want to try just to see if I become more honed in with my writing and how much it affects it or my mood while I'm writing. The next article I decided to read was from the "Most Popular" section. After the readings from this week I really became interested in character traits and words that definitely help with that, so the article I looked at for inspiration was "350 character Traits - A Fabulous Resource For Writers" that really breaks down the different elements to characters. One thing I didn't consider was how my character can create the plot, rather than the plot creating the character or affects what they do. I know in the readings the stories I decided to take notes over had so many words to describe the main character, so the graph on different ways to really capture who the character is through negative and positive words is extremely insightful. With that, the article notes that no one is perfect, and to make your character more relatable, they won't be perfect too. Even adding in something that as a writer, I may not like about them, It still makes the story interesting and makes it really come to life. Another Article that I really found helpful for what I want to achieve in this class is "How To Write An Epic First Line" and all the "How To Write..." articles. I always have trouble with the very first line of any essay or story I write. I usually know exactly what the second line will say and will mostly always finish the first paragraph before I go back to the first line. I think with this specific class it's so easy to start it off with that common fairytale style first line, but sometimes it gets old. The article goes through a step by step process of practicing different lines, using different words/phrases, until I find one that really resonates with me. The article also encourages the writer to have fun with it and use any words that really capture the feeling of the story and how I would want to start it. I think it's a fun way to figure out which direction to take the first line in. I know that usually the first idea is not always the last, so to take the time to come up with a line that immediately captures readers can really help with my writing. I hope to use the tips I learned from these articles in my final project and see how much it changes my writing from now compared to when the final project is written. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to my current life

Week 11 Story: The Giving Trees