Reading Notes: Tibetan Folk Tales, Part B

 Week 9 

I really enjoyed the readings from part A, so I was really excited to jump into the readings for this week. My favorite ones typically are the ones where animals are the main characters. The Tibetan Folk Tales collected by Albert Shelton didn't disappoint either! There were many animals and a lot of character to them as well as other objects of life that play a big role. 




In the first story that caught my attention was How the Rabbit Killed the Lion by Albert Shelton. The beginning of the story starts off so strong. It painted a picture of how life was for animals before, what I inferred as, climate change. It introduces the Lion as the "king of beasts" which is pretty typical for the animal kingdom now. It shows that the lions character was somewhat cocky. The rabbit known for being fast had to think quick. The rabbit used that to their advantage saying there was a beastly creature in the body of water by him. His own vanity killed himself as the rabbit was able to take down the lion by tricking him. I also felt symbolism from seeing himself in the water when he goes searching for "the devil." I felt the portrayal of the lion as the devil was fitting and the rabbit had just enough power over the lion that he didn't have to get his hands dirty and was able to take the lion out. 

The second story I liked was The Golden Squash by Albert Shelton. I kind of found the story to be interesting in a way where it connects a good soul with the outcome of good things. The man who helped the bird cared for nature and had a true heart. He was gifted (which I have found to be a reoccurring theme in a lot of these "come to wealth" stories). He took care of the plant and he received good in return that he didn't even keep for himself. On the other hand, when the old man tries to do the same but does it out of greed, he gets treated like the bird he hurt. He wants to hurt others to gain wealth and that is a horrible thing to do. I thought the ending was pretty morbid, but I liked the lesson. 

The last story I enjoyed was How the Sacred Duck Got His Yellow Breast by Albert Shelton. It gave me the same feeling when I read the introduction as the Lion and Rabbit story. It had the same story as the turtle and the hare. The frog was able to outsmart his opponent but in doing so, he didn't realize he had another problem. He didn't think ahead as to how he was going to get the pot down. I wish I was the duck in this story, where I don't get involved with the issue, but rather I find myself helping someone in exchange for some without having to fight, argue or race. I liked this story because it was simple and it painted a beautiful picture of the bird and it's yellow breasts. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to my current life

Week 11 Story: The Giving Trees