Story Lab Week 4: Advice to Writers

Week 4: Advice to Writers Lab

I really enjoy writing these small spin off's for these stories so I thought I'd go into how to change up my writing or advice with it! I've noticed during the reading assignments that I am drawn to stories that get in depth when it comes to the creation of the characters personalities. I become drawn with them and love reading more just to see what's going to happen next! In Jon Winokur's "Advice to Writers" website, a post resonated with me that was called "Give us Characters we'll Carry with us" by Silas House. I notice the stories I remember most are the ones with the best characters. This post also talks about how characters resonate with us because we can relate to them with our own hopes and struggles. I think when it comes to creating these stories, the characters need to be strong for people to remember them or want to keep reading, it feels real and people like real. In my future writings and in my storybook (I really wanna do a storybook!) I want to have a strong character that people feel pulled toward when they read about them. I also saw this when I read a post called "Tell the Tale that Speaks to you" by Jennifer Weiner. It states that stories should be written to tell not to sell, which I agree. I think if people are stuck on the selling part of how to make others happy, true writing won't be present in any work. The best idea's are the ones that come to you and the ones you are most interested in. Worry about the selling later! It's writing, not a market. 

One thing I want to get better at this semester and to work on when it comes to my writing is revising. I hate revising but it's apart of the process and I want to get use to doing it more. I tend to worry about what I write and just wanna submit it and shut my laptop, but closing myself off to potential is ultimately setting me back when it comes to making my stories actually good. One article that I found immensely helpful was "Writing is an Expansion and Reduction" by Jerzy Kosinski. It brings "clarity" to stories. It opens up all parts and really examines them; wherever theres space for expansion or if there needs to be a reduction helps to really make the story flow. I like that Kosinski related it to an accordion as if a person pulls it open and makes changes to hear a different sound. This can really be a turning point in terms of editing a story or making it sound better. I want to open myself up to revising so I can make a great story and implement that when I create a storybook! 

I found this website to have a lot of insight and inspiration that writers might have. It was nice to see how other people treat their writing as a way that I can use to help improve mine. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to my current life

Week 11 Story: The Giving Trees