Reading Notes, Jewish Fairy Tales: The Fairy Frog

 Week 3 

For reading B I really enjoyed the Jewish Fairy Tale: The Fairy Frog by Gertrude Landa. I have definitely found myself a fan of the small tales that Landa has. I love the magical creatures or elements that occur to the people who deserve it. I found this story interesting right off the bat because it introduced the idea of pain from a death, and listening to the deceased. I think in most stories when it comes to someone dying, the main characters often disregard their wishes because they won't be around to see if they follow through. I liked this because the main character Hanina and his wife do exactly what they promised his father. They would go to the market the first day of passover and accept any gift that is offered to them. It was interesting to have the suspense build up of not knowing what was in the basket. It went further for there to be another basket inside the basket, suggesting Hanina and his wife knew the gift looked large and intriguing at first and is now small and possibly incapable of granting their gift. It showed a character (and his wife) that was selfless and willing to do anything such as starve to grant the wishes of the dead. I really enjoy stories with happy endings for people who do good which is probably why I've written my reading reviews over stories exactly like that so I loved seeing the frog grant them each a wish AND honor them through many precious stones and herbs. I was assured that after granting Hanina and his wife their wishes that would be the "good fortune" they received and the tale would end there, but it continued even further revealing that it was Adam in frog form. It did offer the family a great fortune and they were able to live on happily. It was interesting to see how much the main characters were willing to give up before they received what they promised. They also never lost sight of the wishes of their parents. I liked that there was a lesson at the end of this and told the lesson of "good things come to those who wait." while also being a story about Adam helping those who stay true to their word. 

(Source: Big Frog)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to my current life

Week 11 Story: The Giving Trees